Sunday, August 29, 2010

::the gramma:: feedsack quilt sneak peak


These are patterned feedsacks from the 1930's and 40's which was the depression era. The ones we used came with chicken feed. The fabric is 100% cotton and a little bit thicker and courser-looking than the 100% cotton we get today. It is very durable and was used for dresses (if you were lucky enough to get the amount needed), aprons, bonnets, backings for quilts (with four sewn together and un-matched) as well as pieced quilt tops. The quilts were usually "tied" rather than hand quilted. In working on my feedsack quilt I am surprised how easily the needle glides through the fabric.

You will notice a dark strip across the top sack in the stash pic. That is a strip of the brown fabric which I was "auditioning" for the sashing. When I complete the quilting for the row of the shown block, the quilting will be half done! Watch for the finished project.
-The Gramma

2 comments:

liso. said...

Oh, Gramma,
This is so neat! Where did you get the feedsack fabric??? I love the way they look in the stack - I can't wait to see how the whole quilt looks put together!

Thanks for the background, too. I love to hear those details....

Anonymous said...

V. here...I love seeing these original feedsacks and love the picture with your scissors , thread, and thimble ready to quilt. Your quilting is just beautiful. Can't wait to see it .